Friday, May 31, 2013

What I'll Do This Summer 2013

I haven't blogged in 5 months, but it's time for summer goals, so it's also time for a blog post! Here are the goals I've come up with for this summer so far.

1. Read the following classic novels - Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark, Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns, Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, and The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum - Originally this goal was going to be to read 5 classics, but things got a little out of hand. Most of these are shorter, so I still think this is doable.

2. Learn to bake an apple pie from scratch - Apple pie is probably my favorite dessert, so I should probably learn how to make one, right?

3. Take an old TAKS test online - This is super nerdy. But one day I was talking with Camille and Erin about the STAR test Erin's students were taking. We started wondering how we would even do on these tests now that we've been out of school for awhile. So I'm going to try it and see!

4. Read an astronomy book - I've been listening to podcasts from Star Talk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I've become really fascinated with everything about space. So I want to learn more! I've chosen a book by Neil himself called Universe Down to Earth and I'm pretty excited about it.

5. Go to the planetarium - After I finish the book above, I need to do this because I've never been! Plus my sister has a museum membership, so I can go for free.

6. Watch all the movies on my DVR - I've recorded between 20 and 30 movies over the last year that I still haven't watched. Some are from free movie channel weekends. 9 of them are Elvis movies from the TCM celebration of his birthday last summer. I can't wait to see my DVR with 100% free space...and to see these movies.

7. Catch up on Jeopardy - Similar to the above goal, on the downstairs DVR, my roommates and I have over 100 episodes of Jeopardy. We'll be having some major marathons, if anyone wants to join us!

8. Finish my Thomas Jefferson book - My eventual goal of reading bios on all the presidents is moving along extremely slowly. Yikes. And Jen, my official Jeopardy coach, has assigned me to make it through Monroe by the end of the year, so I've got work to do.

9. Scat Jazz Lounge - This was on my list last summer and I just never made it happen, so I'm putting it on here again.

10. Finally visit California - I'm going for about 2 weeks this summer and I can't wait! I have lots of friends to visit and lots of things to see and one wedding to go to!

Looks like I better get to work! What are your summer goals?

1 comment:

  1. I told you to get through Monroe by the end of the year?! I vaguely remember that conversation, but, gosh, I'm soooo pushy!

    ReplyDelete