Friday, June 15, 2012

Learning About Worship

Maybe I'm a little too critical, but I kind of have a lot of opinions on worship songs. A friend of mine actually wrote a blog post this week on how he chooses what songs to lead during a worship service that states a lot of my own views way better than I could. This same friend is also an incredibly gifted writer of worship songs. (I'm actually blessed to know at least 3 people that write some of the best worship songs I've ever heard, but it's possible that I'm a little biased.) One song Casey wrote that we get to sing a lot at my church that I just can't stop listening to these days is called "The Privilege of Knowing the King" and I thought I'd write a little about why I love it so much. (If you want to hear it for yourself, you can listen to a live version of it here.)

Oh, how great is the privilege of
Those found with only His righteousness
He is enough for them, and they are content
He is all they will ever need
His blood washed over their depravity
Now they're clean
Oh, the privilege of knowing the King

That's verse one. This song is already packed with theological goodness! I think right away part of the reason I love this song so much is that this privilege is something that is so easy to forget. The fact that we even get to KNOW the King of the universe is unbelievable and we take it for granted, but then the song unpacks even more about our privileges that we forget as well. To be found with nothing but His righteousness is more than we could ever ask for. This is a righteousness we could never earn in a billion lifetimes, but He's given His to us and that should be enough for us. His blood cleanses our depravity.

Oh, how sweet His forgiveness for
Those bound and broken because of sin
His grace is enough for them, where freedom begins
He is all they will ever need
His love bought pardon for the weak
And set them free
Oh, the privilege of knowing the King

Verse two. Not only do we have His righteousness, but we've been given forgiveness. On the days when we don't feel like we've been screwing things up too badly, we take this for granted. But when we remember what we truly are without Christ - that we are bound and broken because of sin, yet He has, in love, bought our pardon and set us free - then His forgiveness truly is sweet and we remember that He is all we will ever need.

Great is the privilege of knowing the One
Who forever will reign by His goodness and love (3x)
He was broken and bruised for me and for you
Jesus!

This is the bridge and it gets me every time. One of my worship song pet peeves is when we repeat something that isn't the most important theological point of the song, but this one definitely is. We have to constantly remind our hearts of who Jesus is and what He's done for us. He is the King who will reign forever in goodness and love, and despite our totally not deserving it, He chose to be broken and bruised for us and we get to be with Him forever. That idea is absolutely worth repeating.

Oh, how firm through the ages are
Those crowned with life by the Father's hands
His Word is enough for them to endure til the end
He is all we will ever need
His life, our only hope and plea
Eternally
Oh, the privilege of knowing the King

The final verse. I love the reminder that this privilege isn't just ours now, but it is ours for eternity. If we know this King, if we place our only hope and plea in His life, His Word will help us endure til the end and we will be with Him eternally. What?! It truly is a privilege to know Him, and I hate that I take it for granted often, but I love that this song helps me remember not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment