Monday, January 9, 2012

Learning About Blogging

One thing I've learned about blogging is that most blogs begin with an obligatory post about how the blogger started blogging and what their blog will be about, so here's mine. (How many different forms of the word blog did I just use in one sentence?!) 

I guess we need to go back one year to get to the beginning of this story. Last year, TCU went to the Rose Bowl (Go Frogs!) and some friends of mine were driving to the game through Phoenix. One of my bestest friends ever, Jen, had recently moved there with her husband, so I jumped at the chance to hitch a ride with the road trippers and visit her while they went to the game. We had a BLAST together that week and mentioned multiple times that a New Year's trip to Phoenix should be a tradition for me. One year later, I found myself in Phoenix again, having even more fun than the last time. 

Besides throwing another New Year's Eve Fiesta, hanging out with friends I met in Phoenix last year, meeting up with a couple of my college girls, seeing 4 movies in one day at the $2 theater, and visiting some of Jen's grad school classes at ASU, one activity she had planned for us was to hang out with two of her lovely blogger friends. Heather and Erin are two ladies that Jen first met in the online world and then decided to meet in real life a few months ago, and they've formed a really precious friendship. It was so fun to get to be part of their day - seeing Jen's new house for the first time, eating lunch and Sprinkles and yogurt, walking up to the ticket counter at the botanical gardens and promptly turning around when we saw the $18 entrance fee, and just laughing a lot and talking about life and love and the Lord. These ladies had barely heard of me before, but they accepted me as one of their own right away and I had so much fun with them. 

All throughout the day, though, there was quite a bit of pressure to become one of them. They raved about the joys of blogging and insisted that I would love it. Before Erin left Jen's house at the end of the day, I had my orders - a comment on her blog with the link to mine by Monday or else (emphasis mine, probably). I wasn't totally against it, but I wanted to have a good idea. I felt like if I started a blog without a clear purpose then I would either become really boring and rambling or just quit altogether. I conducted a brief twitter poll and Ricky suggested that I blog about "books and media and stuff. Either reviews or your perspective about how it affects...stuff." My eloquent friend had a point. I do consume quite a bit of media and that's definitely something I could enjoy blogging about. And Jen pointed out that I could chronicle the things I learn as I study to hopefully be on Jeopardy someday. (This is why she's my Jeopardy coach - always encouraging me and always reminding me that I need to study for it.)

And thus was born a blog. I'll get on here occasionally and share what I've been learning and what I think about it. I hope it'll be fun and we can all learn together. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Yes!!!!! Phoebe and I are in love with your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so demanding!!! ;) So happy about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. find your niche, become an expert, and build your brand. I know a thing or two about blogging. Feel free to tap me for any type of advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are books on the background of your blog. I'm starting a blog about observations I make on your blog. It's gonna be ammaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Miss Kristin. I love Jeopardy and wish u luck. In fact, I'm watching it right now! Good luck...p.s. Jen and I are cousins-in-law :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think you should have gone with the name I suggested... Just sayin. Oh, and you got more comments on your first blog post than I ever have on any of mine. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such great insights.
    just found your blog, now following!

    XO
    erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete